Sunday, March 06, 2011

Tuna salade Nicoise

The first time I had this dish was about 15 years ago at a luncheon with my big sister at John Wanakmaker's in Philadelphia.  It was not at the Crystal Room where my grandmother often took me for soup and sandwich lunches during our very special shopping sprees, but a small cafe overlooking the mezzanine.  It was a perfect lunch that brought back lots of memories of Nanny and how she treated me "special."

I was the tallest and skinniest of Erma's five girls, so much so that I couldn't find proper fitting clothes anywhere but the pre-teen shop at JW.  Boy, they don't make department stores like that anymore.  The service was impeccable.  Older women with blue hair waited on you hand and foot, and brought clothing in your size right to your dressing room.  After a few times going shopping with Nanny, she grew confident in my ability to pick out just the right outfit, and always off the sale rack.  She'd often let me go shopping alone and let me use her "charge plate."

Of course, my sisters were very jealous and often called me Nanny's favorite, or more affectionately, "Nanny's Little Skinny Witch."  Note to sisters: I always paid her back.

I remember every outfit I purchased there like it was yesterday.  The red plaid woolen slacks and black turtleneck sweater, and the Navy blue woolen hipsters with the big thick patent leather belt and pink striped boatneck top that I wore to the Mummer's Parade with my white Correge boots.  Very chic in the 60s.

What was even better is that in a household where we often wore each other's clothes, mine were always too narrow for my sisters to fit into.  Consequently, they never got BO stains and lasted a real long time.

Anyway, tuna Nicoise has become a new staple dinner for me since I became a pescetarian more than a year ago.  I hope you enjoy it.




Tuna salad Nicoise

1 lb green beans, cleaned, steamed till crisp tender, or 1 pkg frozen whole green beans, defrosted and drained on paper towels
10-12 fingerling potatoes, steamed or microwaved, sliced in half lengthwise
1 can chunk white tuna
2 hard cooked eggs, whites and yolks chopped separately, or sliced or quartered
10-12 kalamata olives
2 T capers
1 large tomato cut into eighths, or cherry or grape tomatoes
4 whole anchovies, optional

Dressing
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 T fresh rosemary, finely chopped
Coarse ground salt
Ground pepper
ΒΌ C extra virgin olive oil

This is a lovely composed salad with lots of options.  You can use fresh or frozen beans, any type of waxy potato, fresh or your favorite canned tuna, sliced or chopped eggs, large or cherry, grape tomatoes.  The constant is that it should be beautifully composed and lovely to look at.

After arranging ingredients on a serving platter, whisk together the juice of one lemon and other ingredients until well blended and thickened.  Pour over salad and serve with crusty French baguette, creamery butter and a crisp glass of French wine.

Serves 2 for dinner or 4 sides

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home