Thursday, December 02, 2010

Potato Latkes

Ok, so I celebrated Chanukah a day late this year.  I was too busy to cook yesterday – hopefully starting a new chapter in this roller coaster I’m on called life.

I have always made it a point to celebrate every ethnic holiday with food.  Some of my favorites were corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day (less than immaculate conception day), chicken fajitas for Cinco de Mayo, and of course, latkes and beef brisket for Chanukah.  

I have to rethink the animal portion of my meal in future celebrations.  Although, I have to admit, it was tempting to go with my fabulous beef brisket in the crock-pot recipe, but, thankfully, my job hunt got the better of me and I was too hurried and stressed to cook.

Turns out, I didn’t miss the brisket – or the hubby – after all.  Arrived home late this afternoon with lots of energy to make my favorite of the Chanukah meal – latkes with sour cream and applesauce.  I served it with a side salad of baby spinach and tomatoes and a little broccoli de rape – not Jewish at all – to keep it “real” for good measure.  (Sorry, I ate it all before I realized I should take a picture for publication here.)

God bless the late Jeff Smith, the “Frugal Gourmet” and Methodist minister foodie – what a chameleon!!!  See  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Smith_(TV_personality).

Despite his flaws – I guess a lot of men have them – Jeff’s latkes recipe in the “Frugal Gourmet Celebrates Christmas” cookbook is right on.  Any Jewish momma would approve.  KISS – keep it simple stupid – potatoes, egg, onion, salt ‘n pepper.  Can it get any simpler?

Anyway, I adapted this from Jeff’s recipe and try not to think of the turmoil he may have caused his young chef assistants:

Latkes

2 C grated potatoes
½ onion, grated
1 large egg, beaten
Juice of ½ lemon (to prevent discoloration)
Salt, pepper
1 C vegetable oil
½ pint sour cream (go for the fattening kind)
1 C applesauce (the best you can find)

Grate potatoes and squeeze out any liquid in paper towels or a very clean dishcloth.  Place in bowl with lemon juice, salt and pepper to season.  Add onion and beaten egg; mix well.  Heat about a 1/2-inch of oil in frying pay.  Drop ¼ cup of mixture into hot oil.  Fry until golden brown, turn and fry on the other side a few minutes more.  Drain on paper towels.  Serve with sour cream and applesauce.  Makes about 8-10 latkes to serve 4 sides or 2 mains.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home