Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Pizzelles

I haven't received a batch yet.

A few weeks ago my ex asked if he could have the pizzelle iron.  Of course, I let him have it with the caveat that I get a batch every year.  Along with it, I gave him the shifty sifter, leftover bottles of anise oil and anise seeds too.  After all, I have more important things to do than make two cookies at a time.  Honestly, the man didn't have patience for me, but he would stand in front of the kitchen counter making batches of pizzelles for hours on end. That, and an occasional Caesar salad, was the extent of his culinary prowess.

He'd make them to share with family and friends.  He'd clean them up around the edges and we'd feast on the crumbs for days.

I left the package on the front porch for him to pick up and quickly found something to do elsewhere so I wouldn't run into him.  Too painful to see, and to happy to argue.  An hour later, I returned and the booty was gone. Hope his "part-time" girlfriend gets fat.

Anyway, he got a version of this recipe from a much-beloved former burlesque queen friend of ours.  Year after year, he would make adjustments to Kippy DeVille's recipe because he said he likes them sweet and tender. He finally perfected it and this is his formula.  (I later found out he doesn't like it sweet and tender after all.  He actually likes it rough and hard. Go figure.)

The recipe makes not-too-flaky-to-hold, delicious pizzelles with a rich, but not too strong flavor of anise.  Everyone raves about them.  I like them sprinkled with confectioner sugar and a cup of hot green tea.

Honestly, it's not Christmas until you smell the pizzelles.  Even the neighbors said so when they smelled the anise emanating from the house.  I'm going to miss that.  But hopefully, he'll be kind enough to drop off a dozen or so for me to enjoy during the holidays.

Pizzelles

4 eggs
2 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 1/2 C sugar
1 T anise oil
1 C margarine, melted (do not use butter)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 T anise seeds

Beat eggs and gradually add sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Add cooled margarine, anise oil and seeds.  Sift flour and baking powder.  Blend into egg mixture till smooth.  Dough will be sticky enough to be dropped by spoon.  Makes about 40 pizzelles.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Deneen said...

Thanks, saved the recipe and do own a pizzelle iron, although haven't made them in a few years-no patience.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home